Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Shiny New Toys

So - my husband came home from work yesterday toting a shiny new red lap top. . . just for ME! I was so excited I was giddy!

Now - mind you - I have never had a new computer before. I always get the hand-me-downs. Even a zillion years ago when I was one of the few cool cats that had a PC, it was a used one. In 1992 when I got my first PC it was used and I paid $700.00 for it. USED! Oh that poor thing gave me fits. There were very few people that knew ANYthing about computers, let alone enough about them to actually be able to fix them - so when it decided it was going to be naughty, it was a bad bad situation.

I owe a lot to that old PC though. Because of that PC I found my now husband. There used to be ( and might still be) a chat program called PowWow. It was a place where people went to just chat and get to know eachother. It was - as I have said - a zillion years ago when not just any Tom, Dick or Harry had a PC. Most people that had PC's were educated middle to upper class working folks. I met my husband in a chat room on PowWow. Back then, it was considered "scary" and "risky" to chat with folks online. But - I was a redheaded rebel and threw caution to the wind. THANK GOODNESS.

At the time, I was living in Texas. My husband was a sailor stationed in California. He retired out of the Navy and moved back home to Indiana. He was here for a few months, then my kids and I packed up and moved from Texas to Indiana to start our new lives together. I don't know what possesed me to do such a "scary" "risky" thing. I just did. And now - nearly 15 years later I am so glad I did.

Any-hoo - my husband came home toting a brand new shiny red laptop just for me. I was like a school girl. Nervous and excited and enthralled! Now mind you - it's not all that different from the hand-me-down lap top I was using before. Except that its red. And its shiny. And it's NEW.  A girl needs a shiny new toy every once in a while.

My goal now - is to write. I mean, seriously write. FINISH that book I started a few years ago. TELL that story I wanted to tell. Make time to write down all the things in my head that are screaming to get out.

Oh fine. I'll even put a time line on it. Let's say 6 months. By March 15, 2010 I will have ehm....60 pages finished. That's 10 pages a month. Surely I can manage that. Right?

I'm sure I can. After all ...I got a brand new shiny red racer....er...lap top. Just for me.

1 comment: