Thursday, November 18, 2010

Ghosts of Christmas Past

I Hate Christmas.


That's not actually true. I like Christmas - I like the IDEA of Christmas. I like the premise of giving to others- celebrating love and family....but I hate what Christmas has become. Glitzy. Commercial. Take take take. Expect expect expect.

When I was a child - like every other child - I looked forward to Christmas. What surprises were in store for me? Would I get that ( insert gift of every child's dreams here) ? Would Santa leave that (most popular gift no one can afford yet everyone tries to get) under the tree? Would my stocking be filled with (paraphernalia, candy etc)?

I was one of those children who could answer those questions with a resounding NO. I never ever received the gift of my dreams. My stocking was never over flowing. My gifts were practical. I am grateful for everything I was ever given - do NOT misunderstand. I was fed, clothed and had a roof over my head. . . I got clothes and underwear under the tree and pencils and an orange in my stocking. I was well taken care of, and I am forever grateful.

But I also was that child whose father was passed out on the couch in his Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer boxers, Santa hat and a half empty glass of whiskey in his hand and the empty bottle on the table next to him. I was the child whose mother was raging mad because said drunken dad had given her a dress she hated and pawned the TV for the money to pay for it.

Peace on earth good will toward men....yeah yeah . Whatever.

So this year - I have decided to ban the ghosts of Christmases past and take part in making a difference in a child's life.  Please join me. Follow this link and fill as many shoe boxes as you can. I am excited to know that in some small way - a child somewhere will have a bright spot in their holiday. That a child somewhere who has no expectation - will have a nice surprise. If you can - please join me in helping a child in need. Spread the true Christmas spirit.

Oh - and Fa lala la la - la la la la!

Today I am thankful for the ability to make a difference in someones life. I have been blessed with the means to be of the giving kind - and am looking very forward to doing it!

No comments:

Post a Comment