Monday, February 28, 2011

Perfect Imperfection

In the summer of 2004 I fell in a movie theater and broke both bones in my left arm ( ulna and humorous) and shattered the radial head ( elbow) into a gazillion pieces. I had lots and lots of surgeries on it - a bone graft - more surgeries, therapy, a dynasplint mechanical thing-a-majig that I wore and used for months and months and months. More surgeries, more therapy and to this day I still can not straighten my left arm, turn my palm up, reach my nose or ears with my left - tie my own shoes ( thank goodness for slide on shoes) button or zip my own britches ( thank goodness for elastic waist bands)....but I can still paint, and play my piano....crochet and sew. So - it could be a gazillion times worse.

However - it is a disability. Many is the time I have to say to someone " I can't do that, sorry my arm doesn't work right....".

But then yesterday - my sweet husband turned to me...as I was rocking my sweet grandson to sleep and said "see honey - that arm IS good for something....it's good for loving our grandson."

And if that isn't making lemon meringue pie out of a big ol' pile of lemons - I sure don't know what is.





1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful story. After the ouch, ouch, ouch part anyway.

    Great perspective. Thanks for the lift.

    ReplyDelete