Thursday, October 21, 2010

Glad that's done!

You know, I've been conflicted about how to deal with my alcoholic mother and her special way of ruining every family function or event. I just don't have what it takes to see another Thanksgiving with her crying her eyes out and tipping back the wine. I just don't have what it takes to listen to her barrage me with her anger and hatred at the Christmas dinner table. I just feel like for once - I deserve better than that.

So I sent her an email and said that we didn't want company for the holidays - we are broke from the wedding trip and want to just keep it low key -and the new grandbaby will be so tiny and will be so much better if we don't have a zillion folks around. Less folks, less germs...etc etc.

This is what I got in response:

"Thanks for telling me, Kelly.  I was worrying how to tell you that I couldn't come for the holidays.  I'm not planning to go anywhere either.  I spent my entire yearly travel budget on the trip to NYC.   In addition, the older I get, the less I'm concerned about "celebrating" the holidays. "

LIAR LIAR PANTS ON FIRE!

So childish I know. But really? I know better. I know darn good and well she is mad as hell. She is mad as hell and is going to pout and complain that she was all alone. BUT - it's done. And I am grateful for that.

1 comment:

  1. Not only that she was alone...but because you called it off...it will always be your fault for not wanting her and making her at least feel like you wanted her there. Good for you. We don't have family that comes...but we shared our table the last couple of years. This year it is just us and the kids...and I am SO THANKFUL for that!! These are the kids that matter, and need the memories and love. I'll be praying you have a peaceful holiday too...can you believe it is only a month away?!!

    Miss you. I will call this weekend.

    ReplyDelete