Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Take Care Of Your Boobies

BOOBS. Gazongas. Melons. Tits. Titties. Knockers. JUGS.

No matter what you call 'em - you gotta take care of 'em.



Cancer is not something you expect or plan for in life, and it does not discriminate. It knows no race, age or gender boundaries. According to breastcancer.org, all women are at risk for breast cancer and even a small population of men, about 1,900 will be diagnosed. The risk increases with age and about one out of every seven women will get breast cancer over a 90-year life span.


As stifling as these realities can seem, there are also many myths that people need to understand. Breast cancer does not just affect older women. In fact, breast cancer can occur at any age. You can get breast cancer even if it does not run in your family. About 80 percent of women who get breast cancer have no known family history of the disease.

Unfortunately that is not the case in my family. My sweet Grandmother was a breast cancer survivor when women didn't survive. I can remember when I was about 4 years old ( I am 48 now) trying to sit on her lap and she had to tell me to "be careful, it hurts a little there" after her double radical mastectomy. I can remember her elevating her arms as much as possible because the lymphedemia was so severe she could barely lift them.

I remember the pure shock when I saw her for the first time with no clothes on. I was an adult - and she was spending the weekend with us. She had this place on her back she needed some ointment put on - and Grandpa had not come with her for the trip. She was getting ready for bed, and was putting on her nightgown when she asked me if I could put the medicine on for her. I was horrified. While I was the luckiest person on earth to have this beautiful, talented, amazing woman in my life - she was - disfigured. She had survived - but the price was high.

Many many years after her first surgery - and lots and lots of radiation, the cancer returned. It was classified as breast cancer - even though she had no breasts. The massive amounts of radiation ( they didn't know 45 years ago what they know now) had caused the cancer to return - this time in the wall of her chest and in the bones. We had her for 40 years longer than we should have - and I am so so thankful for that - but she died of breast cancer none the less.

Then - in 2004 - my Mother was diagnosed with breast cancer. She was very very lucky. It was detected early and after a mastectomy and some chemo - she was fine. She is now over 5 years cancer free.

For those worried about this or any cancer, early detection is the key to prevention.



Women must remember to do monthly self breast exams. For women 40 and over, schedule your annual mammograms, or if you have a history of breast cancer, make sure to talk with your doctor.


Each year, more than 200,000 women will be diagnosed and more than 40,000 will succumb to their battle with breast cancer. As we celebrate Breast Cancer Awareness Month and help to raise awareness about this disease, we celebrate the millions of survivors who defeated it and honor those who lost their lives to the battle.


I understand my risks for getting breast cancer, and although it scares me a little, I continue to live my life to the fullest. I will not let the fear of cancer cripple me.

Take care of your boobies.

I'm taking care of mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment