Wednesday, June 8, 2011

On Nick-names

Pookie.

Shnookums.

Sweetie, honey, darling, bug, babe, little one, doe, shnooksies, sugar pie, sweet pea...I've been called lots of names in my life. Some of them not as sweet as those just listed. I choose to not list the not so sweet ones because frankly I try to forget when someone calls me something hurtful - and - I hate to type in *&$'s so we just won't mention those. But - there are a few names that whenever I hear them my heart melts and jumps and I get ....well... a little weepy.

"Mom" - "Mommy" - "Momma". OMG the first time I heard those words was like the most beautiful music I have ever heard. To look into the eyes of a sweet little child and have them say "I love you Mama" and smile their big beautiful toothy grins - well there just isn't anything in the world as wonderful as that...

Unless of course it's "Mamaw - Grandma - Granny" And that's pretty darn right beautiful too.

Yesterday - at work - I witnessed a family who was a perfect example of love. Their sweet little one - 16 years old with Spina Bifida and some cognitive issues as well - had just had some surgery a week or so ago and she was not exactly excited about seeing the doctor. As we neared the exam room she stopped her wheel chair, and the grandmother said " come on Doll Baby  - Grandma is right here.." And I stopped in my tracks as I sucked in my breath. I turned and said " what did you just call her?" and she said " Doll Baby" and it was all I could do to not break down into a blubbering bawling idiot right there on the floor.

My sweet sweet Grandmother had nicknames for all us kids. My cousin Ruthie was "Monkey Jane" - because she was hyper and bounced all over the place all the time. My brother was "Little Buddy". ..everyone had their special name and Grandma never mixed them up. My name....? You guessed it..."Doll Baby". And hearing that grandma call her granddaughter doll baby just sorta melted me all over.

I hope...I hope my kids " Reenie", " Baby Boy", " Buddha" and  " Bernhardt" - I hope my grand kids " Nay nay", " Sissy Girl" and "Lil' Man" and whomever comes after them ( oh yes - there MUST be more grand kids! LOL ) feel all warm and fuzzy when ever they hear their names....even if it doesn't come from my mouth....'cause those are terms of endearment - like a warm hug from this Granny. . .er...Mammaw....ehm..Mom....uhm ....Grandma.....erp....Mommy........

whatever.

No comments:

Post a Comment